As a freelancer, I start new projects all the time and it always starts with questions. On my end, I like to begin with gathering lots of information a new client:
- What kind of writing are you looking for?
- What is the scope of the project?
- What is your deadline?
- How many revisions would you like to see?
- How do you like to communicate about the project?
- Is there a style or tone that you’re looking to capture?
- What do you want the project to accomplish?
- What audience will be reading it?
I like it when a new client asks me questions too, whether it be how and what I charge (usually by the project), how I like to work (lots of communication), what kinds of writing I’ve done in the past (I usually direct them to my portfolio) and whether I have any creative suggestions for their project (I really like that one).
Asking lots of questions helps us to get on the same page and minimizes surprises along the way.